Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The 33rd

I’d like to extend a Laurel and Hardy handshake to the guys of the 33rd Combat Brigade out of the Illinois National Guard. They were here when I got to Shank and they took me in. They left recently and are headed home and I will miss them. When I was told where I was going, they said that I would be with a regular army unit. A high speed unit. When I got here, I found that I would be living and working with these fine gentlemen. At first I was a little leery, till I rolled out with them. My opinion of the National Guard has changed.

You know, I was full time Army many moons ago and when I got out, I didn’t even consider joining the NG because they were, to be honest, a joke. But that was a long time ago and things have changed, like they often do. With the recent history of the US being involved in several conflicts, the roll of the NG has increased as has their expertise and quality of people. This group of guys have backgrounds to include a railroad engineer, teacher, laborers, farmers, and several Police Officers.

They were overworked and under-appreciated by the regular army. I would roll with these guys anytime and anywhere. True Operators. Thank you my friends, Bama, Beers, Bietz, Bo, Urbies, Rouen, Doc, Corey, Adam, Wes, Col, K, Tank, Mr. T, Brewer, Hays, BJ, Ruge, Jonesy, Evans, Sgt. B, Ehnle, Coss, Pepe, Dirty Villa, Z, Mr. M, George, Sgt. W, and Tink.

5 comments:

  1. Nice workout Steve. It'll be kicking our ass this week. I'm serious dude, you need to get back here, we have the SWAT Challenge in August and need you.
    Check out our blog, we like you so much we put your mug on the site.
    Stay Safe Buddy,
    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this mean that I can expect your enlistment into the RI Air National Guard upon your return?? Give us a chance to work together again...........:)

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Steve
    As far as joining the air guard; always remember that there is a fine line between soft and stupid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, we did the workout today (the 3rds of 5 exercise 1 min each). What an ass kicker. Dale repped out 358 and I got 353. Oh and we added a minute of rope climbs at the end just for the hell of it. Go easy for a while, you're gonna get us hurt.
    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  5. There will be no Civil Air Patrol enlistments allowed, Thomas

    ReplyDelete